How can I become a hacker?
You can't. But you can read about us!
Actually many things can be hacked, but since my specialty
is computers, internet, and crypto,
I'll give you my reading list:
- Annotation by rupe :
Other worthy books:
- Hackers - Heroes of the Computer Revolution Steven Levy. Levy gives an eminently readable (and non-technical) overview of how hacking culture developed, from the days of TECO and PDP-11's at MIT, up to the phreaker / BBS culture of the late 80's and early 1990s. This book inspired me to start writing code, wire networks, and play around inside SprintLink as a freshman in HS :-).
- Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet I picked this slim paperback up last year, expecting it to be a diluted, shallow account of Internet history, written for your typical AOLer. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Hafner & Lyon paid good attention to detail, and gave a good account of the people, politics and technical issues that surrounded the birth of ARPAnet, and its eventual merge into the larger Internet. Very readable, and includes some historic images of early hardware and the people who made it all happen.
- Eric S. Raymond has a draft of a document entitled The Art of UNIX Programming, which is as much a philosophical treatise on the mind-set needed to write good code in the UNIX environment, as it is a technical reference. Very good reading... ESR speaks wise words. Every young programmer should read it.
Read more of
Frequently Questioned Answers   (mod.2010-02-10)
372.   What is the offical 'insta-gay' drinkô of #temp?
318.   whats a good webmail system?
( chota/2003-07-26 )
250.   What's in a Ross Omelette?
( ross/2003-09-16 treesn/2001-12-30 )
248.   what font does jesse use for coding?
( robey/2001-06-26 )
181.   Where does the Yak read?
129.   What do all the diferent colors of manic panic hair dye look like?
127.   How can I make the "whois" command work like before?
125.   How does the % operator work in Python?
105.   What does matt do to Windows machine after a fresh install?
94.   How do I boot my Sparc Classic/Sparc Classic X/Sparc 5/Sparc 10 without a keyboard or monitor?
91.   Should the answer to an FQA consist entirely of an external link?
( strick/2002-01-23 )
65.   Where can I get help with my Physics homework?
59.   Where are the Yak Research Stickers?
( strick/2000-10-27 )