Movies Rated by Blue (sorted by name)
Ratings are given relative to 0, which approximates an "average"
movie. Since I will tend to watch movies which I think I'll
like, the actual average of these ratings will probably be
closer to +1. Movies are linked into a search of the Internet
Movie Database. Movies rated +2.5 and above are shown in bold.
The Air Up There (+0.5)
- A former college basketball star travels to Kenya to
recruit an undiscovered basketball talent and finds himself
in the middle of a long-running tribal dispute.
- A mysterious diver hiding in Amsterdam's canal system embarks
on a rampage of gruesome murders, terrifying city officials and
leaving few clues for the city's best detective, who doesn't
suspect that both his new girlfriend and twelve-year-old daughter
may be closer than he is to finding the killer. (Dubbed)
Betsy's Wedding (+1)
- All hell breaks loose when an off-the-wall girl announces
(Alan Alda, Madelaine Kahn, Joe Pesci, Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwald)
- A blind violinist receives an operation to restore her sight.
While her brain is still adjusting to hallucinations, she sees her
neighbor's murderer, but only one police detective believes in her.
(Madeleine Stowe, Aidan Quinn)
- After a car accident kills her daughter and famous husband,
a young woman withdraws from her previous life until she finds
something worth living for.
Bodies, Rest & Motion (+1)
- Generation X-style film about two confused kids packing for
a move to Butte, Montana. Features two of the prettiest faces
(Bridget Fonda, Phoebe Cates, Eric Stolz)
Boiling Point (-1.5)
- Cop chases bad guy. I don't know any more because the two times
I tried to watch it, I became disinterested.
The Client (+2.5)
- A tough 11-year-old enlists the aid of a female lawyer, while
the government tries to get him to reveal information that he
fears will get him killed by the mob. Finally, a movie adaptation
worthy of its book.
(Susan Sarandon, Tommy Lee Jones, Brad Renfro)
The Crow (+1.5)
Death Becomes Her (+0.5)
- Two long-time rivals find a new secret weapon, terrifying the
poor plastic surgeon caught between them.
(Goldie Hawn, Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis)
- A hustler takes on a boxing town by betting that his unknown boxer
can take on any ten men in town.
(James Woods, Louis Gossett Jr.)
Encino Man (-2.5)
- Seemingly pointless film about a caveman discovered in the San
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (0)
- A nomadic hitchhiker meets up with some radical feminist
(Uma Thurman, Angie Dickinson, Rain Phoenix)
Father Hood (0)
- A criminal trying to pull off a last big heist ends up having
to take care of his two kids
- An airplane crash survivor becomes fearless after his escape
from death, driving him from his family and reality, but toward
another survivor having trouble dealing with the loss of her baby.
(Jeff Bridges, Isabella Rosselini, Rosie Perez)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (+0.5)
Glengarry Glen Ross (0)
- Three real estate salesmen get desperate when
their jobs are put on the line. (Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Alan Arkin)
Golden Gate (0)
- (Joan Chen, Matt Dillon)
Grand Canyon (+2.5)
- Lawrence Kasdan directs a tale of two families trying to
make sense of their lives amidst the ever-increasing violence
of today's world.
(Danny Glover, Kevin Kline, Steve Martin)
The Grifters (+1)
- A small-time con artist's mother tries to convince him to retire
while his girlfriend tries to convince him to go after bigger fish.
(Anjelica Huston, John Cuzak)
Gross Anatomy (+0.5)
- A smart first-year med student takes nothing seriously, except the
pursuit of his Gross Anatomy (human dissection) lab partner. Only she and
their teacher can help him strive to reach his full potential.
(Matthew Modine, Daphne Zuniga)
The Handmaid's Tale (-1)
- In the future, after the Religious Right have taken over the
country and 99% of the women are sterile, the future of the population
rests in providing fertile handmaids to the ruling elite.
(Natasha Richardson, Faye Dunaway, Richard Duvall, Aidan Quinn,
Heaven and Earth (+0.5)
- A detective on the biggest case of his life suddenly
gets shifted to a seemingly routine homicide. (Joe Mantegna)
- Interface (-2.5)
- A mysterious group of computer fanatics decides
to help society by weeding out criminals.
Joe vs. the Volcano (+2)
- When Joe learns he's dying, a businessman makes him an offer
he can't refuse. Meg Ryan plays the three women in his life, which
suddenly becomes far more interesting than he could ever have imagined.
(Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan)
King of the Hill (+0.5)
- A smart, but poor kid struggles to bring his family back together,
after his brother is sent away, his mother goes to a sanitarium, and
his father takes a job as a traveling salesman.
- Everything changes for a 21-year-old kid with no sense of
responsibility when he decides to track down his brother's killer.
Love Is a Gun (+3.5)
- A police photographer tries to maintain control of his
life after falling in love with a beautiful but quirky girl, much
to the chagrin of his jealous girlfriend. Wonderfully weird movie
that suddenly all makes sense at the end.
(Eric Roberts, Kelly Preston)
Man in the Moon (+0.5)
- A fourteen-year-old girl and her older sister both fall in love
for the first time when a handsome boy moves next door.
Man Trouble (0)
- A paranoid woman hires a security dog to protect her, and
ends up being pursued by the philandering con man owner of the
(Ellen Barkin, Jack Nicholson)
Music Box (0)
- A lawyer fights to prove that her father wasn't a
vicious World War II killer, despite evidence and witnesses
that say otherwise.
Paris, Texas (+1)
- After his brother finds him wandering through a Texas desert,
an amnesiac drifter tries to correct the wrongs that destroyed his family
four years earlier.
(Harry Dean Stanton, Nastassja Kinski, Dean Stockwell)
The Pelican Brief (+1.5)
- After the murder of two Supreme Court Justices, a young
law student researches a frightening theory that puts her
life and the lives of everyone she knows in danger.
(Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington)
Pulp Fiction (+4)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (+1)
- Stranded on Mars with a monkey as a companion, an astronaut must
figure out how to find oxygen, water, and food on the lifeless planet.
Short Cuts (0)
- Robert Altman's three-hour quilt of interwoven tales of life in
Los Angeles. With 22 actors, it's hard to figure out what's going on
and as difficult to figure out what (if anything) happened
even after it's all over.
(Andie McDowell, Jack Lemmon, Anne Archer, Matthew Modine,
Jennifer Jason Leigh, Robert Downey Jr., Madeleine Stowe, Tim Robbins,
Lily Tomlin, Lori Singer, Buck Henry, Huey Lewis, Lyle Lovett, etc.)
- An asthmatic kid dreams of being paired with Chuck Norris.
Instead, he gets bullied by his peers. Poor imitation of the Karate Kid.
Sketch Artist (-1)
- When an eyewitness describes his wife, a police sketch artist
launches his own investigation to solve the murder.
(Sean Young, Drew Barrymore, Jeff Fahey)
- A detonations expert has to stop a mad bomber.
A Stranger Among Us (+0.5)
- A gruff female detective attempts to assimilate into
the strict Hassidic culture in order to capture a murderer.
- A cop tries to keep a Senator from setting the future by changing the
events of the past.
(Jean Claude van Damme)
True Lies (+4)
- A chronicle of the life of Harry S Truman, failed haberdasher, who
With Honors (-0.5)
- The only copy of a Harvard student's thesis
falls into the hands of a homeless man. (Joe Pesci)
Please send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: F41 (1 Apr 1995)